Planning to go to Staples for back-to-school shopping this weekend? Try this potato salad for your backyard BBQ before school starts.
This salad is sooooo good with grilled sausages and beer.
What you need:
Potato, 2 pounds (about 4-5)
Bacon, 5 slices
Onion, ½ cup, chopped
Vinegar, 3-4 tbs (apple, white wine or malt vinegar)
White balsamic vinegar, 2 tbs (If you don’t have white balsamic, just add the equal amount of other vinegar and ½ ts of sugar)
Freshly squeezed lemon juice from half a lemon
Oil, 2-3 tbs
Sugar, 1 ts
Mustard, 1 ts
2 cubes of instant chicken bouillon
1 and ½ cup of water
Chopped fresh parsley or chive
1) Place peeled potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to boil and cook for about 10-15minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain.
2) Let’s make dressing while cooking potato. Cut the bacon in stripe and put in a pan, over medium-low heat. Fry until browned and crisp.
3) When bacon is crisp, add 1 and ½ cup of water and 2 cubes of instant chicken bouillon to the pan. Mix until the cubes are dissolved.
4) In a large bowl, put chopped onion, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, mustard and oil. Then add the bacon soup while it is still hot. Mix well.
Pouring hot soup over the mixture of onion and vinegar makes it better balanced and nicely milder.
5) Slice the potatoes when cool enough to handle.
6) Place the sliced potato in a large bowl, and pour the dressing.
Toss gently to coat while potato and dressing are still warm so that the potatoes will absorb the flavor well. Taste with salt and pepper.
You can eat this immediately but this salad tastes much better after resting in a fridge overnight. Serve warm or at room temperature the next day.
Garnish with the chopped chives or parsley.
This is my German husband’s favorite. Enjoy with grills and beer.
I have this recipe in Japanese, too.