Weather is bright and sunny, finally summer is coming! These easy, fresh lemony cookies will be perfect with iced tea. Bring them to a garden party.
Butter 113g (4 oz or 1 stick), softened
Sugar 70g (2.5 oz)
Flour 200g (7 oz)
Zest from 1 lemon
Baking powder 1ts
Poppy seeds 2-3 tbs
1) Shift flour and baking powder together.
2) Wash a lemon well and zest it with a zester, a fine grater, or microplane. Do not grate white part of its skin, it’s bitter and doesn’t have fragrance you want. The following link may help you if you want to know how.
WikiHow: How to zest a lemon
I strongly recommend to use fresh zest, not artificial flavor or lemon extract.
3) In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat until fluffy.
4) Beat an egg in a small bowl and add it gradually to 3). Beat well.
5) Add the flour mixture, lemon zest and poppy seeds. Mix well with a spatula.
6) Wrap the cookie dough with a plastic wrap and let it rest in a refrigerator for half and hour.
As the dough gets chilled, it will get a little harder and easier to handle when you roll.
7) Preheat the oven to 340F (170C).
8) Sprinkle surface where you will roll out dough with flour, and roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thick.
9) Cut into desired shape with your favorite cookie cutters. Place it on an ungreased baking pan, about 1 inch apart from each other. Bake about 13-15 minutes. Be careful not to burn.
10) Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool.
You can store them in airtight container for up to 4-5 days, but I believe they will be gone soon.
I have this recipe in Japanese, too.