Simply roasted vegetables, simply seasoned with balsamic and soy sauce. Believe me, simply delicious.
You can use any vegetables which are suitable for roasting. There is only one point; roast slowly, about 60 to 90 minutes or event longer, depending on how large the pieces of veges you cut, at lower temperature (320F). I like to use beet, fennel and carrot and these can be eaten raw so you may think why wait so long, but it’s worth. The vegetables get much softer and sweeter. Yes, much.
How to make;
1) Skin and cut the beets in a bite size.
Beets are highly nutritious and have strong antioxidants and lower cholesterol, so help to keep you younger and healthier.
2) Cut of stalks of fennel and cut bulbs halves lengthwise, then slice.
Fennel is good to use for salad and soup, and so for roasting as well.
3) You can also use potato, sweet spring onion, green beans, parsnips, zucchini, carrot and other vegetables. Skin, clean and cut accordingly.
4) Preheat the oven 320F (160C).
5) In a large bowl, combine all the prepared veges and add your favorite herbs such as rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, oregano, etc. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and a pinch of sugar.
6) Coat a roasting pan with olive oil.
7) Spread veges on the pan evenly and roast for 60-90 minutes. stirring every 20 minutes.
8) When veges are tender enough, take the pan out of the oven and pour the mixture of soy sauce and balsamic vinegar (1 part soy, 3 parts balsamic) and toss gently. Return to the oven and heat another 5 minutes.
I don’t know any other way to cook vegetable sweeter than this. This roasted vegetables require time but not work, and go very well with duck, turkey, goose or other game meat.
I have the recipe in Japanese, too.