Although bosc pears are always available, now is the best season for this juicy fruit. This easy, beautiful dessert will be great for any occasion.
What you need:
Bosc pear 7-8
Red wine, preferably Cabernet Sauvignon, 2- 2 and 1/2 cup
Sugar 5-7 tbs
Cinnamon, 1/2 stick
Vanilla Ice Cream, as much as you like
How to prepare:
1) Using a small sharp knife and starting at the bottom, remove the core from each pear.
2) Fill a large bowl with water and add the squeezed juice of a lemon. Peel the pear and put them in the water for avoiding discoloration.
3) In a medium-large sized pan, arrange the pears in a single layer and pour the wine.
The pears do not have to be completely covered but if your pan is too big, you may need to add more wine or water for simmering.
4) Add sugar, cinnamon, cloves and heat over medium heat. Bring to a boil once, then reduce the heat to low.
Place a sheet of kitchen paper on the pears and simmer 15 minutes, covered.
The sheet of kitchen paper helps to give full wine flavor without turning the pears around.
5) After 15 minutes, uncover the pan and keep simmering for another 10- 15 minutes until the sauce becomes as thick as you like.
6) After simmering, carefully put the pear in a container to store in a refrigerator if you want to serve chilled.
Then serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
This time, I simmered long to reduce the sauce and make it thick. You can also have generous amount of sauce and serve it warm for enjoying the contrast with cold ice cream.
I have this recipe in Japanese, too!
Pingback: 洋ナシの赤ワイン煮 | お料理ダイスキ！ニューヨークおうちごはん